What to do in a home emergency until help arrives
Tips for Water, Fire, and Smoke Damage
If you’re in the midst of a water, fire, or smoke disaster, know
that ServiceMaster Clean® in the Las Vegas area will be there when
you call (702) 896-4197. In the meantime, here are some ways to mitigate
the damage yourself.
What to do if you have water damage:
- If the outside temperature is above 60 degrees, use dehumidifiers if available.
- Use fans to circulate the air and assist drying.
- Remove as much water as possible by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe furniture dry.
- Lift draperies off carpet, loop through a coat hanger, and place the hanger
on the drapery rod.
- Prop up wet furniture cushions for even drying and place small wood blocks
or aluminum foil under furniture legs.
- Remove wet area rugs or other floor coverings.
- Open furniture drawers, closet doors, and luggage to enhance drying.
- Move photos, paintings, art objects and firearms to a safe, dry location.
- Remove wet fabrics and dry them as soon as possible. Hang furs and leather
goods to dry separately at room temperature.
- Remove damp books from shelves and spread out to dry.
- If damage occurs during a cool season, leave heat on; if in summer, use
an air conditioner if available.
Important warnings on water damage:
- Do not use an ordinary household vacuum to remove water.
- Do not use electrical appliances while on wet carpet or wet floors.
- Do not go into rooms with standing water if the electricity is still on.
- Do not lift tacked down carpet without professional help. Lifting the carpet
incorrectly could promote shrinkage.
- Do not wait to call for professional help. Damage from the water and bacteria
growth can begin within hours.